Monday, February 7, 2011

Kerry Jensen, Sign Painter. Price Utah

IMG_0036

This last weekend I traveled down to Price Utah, an old coal mining town, to talk to a retired sign painter by the name of Kerry Jensen.


IMG_0094

He painted signs for 30 years and specialized in Lettering by hand. Oddly enough I found his name in an old phone book we were using to clean our pallate knives out with at Periodic Paper where I am was an intern last summer.

IMG_0088

I kept the page in a sign painting book I had for 6 months before I bothered calling, and when I did call I was sad to hear that Kerry no longer painted for work. I talked to him though and asked if he would show me his old sign supplies and some of his work.

IMG_0065

The next day I headed down to my grandparents who live a few towns over and then spent a few hours with Kerry talking shop, looking at his tools, paints, brushes and he showed me a few tricks of the trade he had picked up along the way.

IMG_0097

We hopped in his truck before the sun went down and he showed me some of the signs that he had painted over the years that were still up. He told me that he watched many business go under, a few become millionares and then loose it all.. and a few businesses were still up and running.

IMG_0103

We even saw this sign which had been painted by the man whom Kerry had been an apprentice for, Tony Coss.

During the ride I asked him if there was any way he would show me a few tips on painting basic letters.. which he was a little reluctant to at first, but when we got back and pulled out a scrap peice of wood, layed down some guidelines and started painting some letters. They looked amazing to me! I had never seen an experienced sign painter paint in person. He had the most incredibly steady hand and knew the shapes and angles completley from memory. Amazing. The whole while saying that he felt shakey and out of it, not to mention a bit of far sightedness. I watched in Awe, asking how to turn an O or round an S..  He let me know that each sign painter finds a little bit different technique for his letters and mostley you just have to practice, practice, practice!


IMG_0108

Hand Lettering with Kerry Jensen Retired Sign Painter

Hand Lettering with Kerry Jensen Retired Sign Painter




All in all the night was rad. Rad to connect with somone with so much experienc and know how. Rad to learn some tricks and techniques. Rad to meet someone so genuine and generous.

IMG_0045

IMG_0046


Thanks Kerry for passing on your knowlege and know how. Thankyou for a rad night of sharing and learning. Thanks.

-Colt

4 comments:

  1. That's my dad. :D Thanks for posting this. He is a very modest man, and like you said very genuine and very generous. He doesn't like to "toot his own horn," and it's nice to see someone appreiciate this lost art. This was sure an artistic walk down memory lane for me. I may have even helped paint one or two of those signs along the way. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love the pictures you took. It took me back down memory lane, as well. Kerry is my brother-in-law and I can't say enough good about him either. I am glad you got to have that experience and learn from a "modest master". Are you going to start your own hand painting business soon and where? Would be nice to see some of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cad, Yes on the sign painting business. Right now I am doing signs up in Salt Lake and Provo while I am finishing university up here. After that, I figure it will be a trade that I can practice where ever I land.

    Thanks for your comments ~ Colt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read his wife's blog and I think they are the neatest and most talented family. It doesn't surprise me at all that he has such a talent!

    ReplyDelete